Replacing a Fence Picket
Although a seemingly easy fix there is a correct way to replace a picket
- Replacing a fence picket
- Basic tools and materials needed
- Tape measure, hammer, pry bar/crows foot/ or nail puller of choice, 1-7/8” nails, safety glasses, and circular saw (only if the picket will need to be cut).
- How To
- Before beginning the picket replacement be sure to measure the width and length to ensure that you get the same size fence picket when replacing the damaged one.
- You can choose to pull the nail from the face of the picket with the correct tool or you can choose to break the picket with the pry bar giving special attention not to damage pickets to either side of the damaged picket.
- Once you remove the damaged picket be sure all nails are removed or are hammered flush into the 2X4 or board they are attached to.
- Lastly replace with new picket and nails (for proper placement of nails…see “how to build a wooden fence panel”)